Cursos / 2º Ciclo / Institute of Psychology and Educational Sciences :: Clinical Psychology
AVALIAÇÃO CLÍNICA DE CRIANÇAS E DE ADOLESCENTES - 2018/2019
1º curricular year
Semestralidade: 1st semester
Leading Teacher: Prof. Doutora Mariana Sousa
Assistant Professor: Prof. Doutora Mariana Sousa
Class type and School hours
- To explore the main techniques and instruments of of children and adolescents clinical assessment ;
- To reflect on the the principles that guide the construction of a clinical assessment plan;
- To reflect on the principles that guide the communication of the results of children and adolescents ‘clinical assessment
- To frame clinical assessment in the context of clinical intervention with children and adolescents;
- To analyse the main techniques and instruments of psychological assessment;
- To analyse the principles that guide the construction of a clinical assessment plan;
- To discuss the principles that guide the communication of the results of children and adolescents clinical assessment .
Skills to be acquired
- Framing clinical assessment in the context of children and adolescents clinical intervention ;
- To know the main techniques and instruments of clinical assessment used with children and adolescents;
- Planning clinical assessment;
- Administration, coding and interpretation of the results of the main instruments of clinical assessment used with children and adolescents;
- Planning clinical assessment;
- To integrate and communicate the assessment results
- Participated exposition of the contents;
- Analysis and discussion of clinical cases;
- Role-playing to illustrate specific competencies in the context of children and adolescents clinical assessment ;
- Training on the administration, coding and interpretation procedures of each clinical assessment instrument.
1. Children and adolescents clinical assessment:
1.1. Theoretical models of Developmental Psychology and their implications for clinical children and adolescents assessment;
2. Formal and informal strategies of clinical children and adolescents assessment:
2.1. Clinical interview with the nuclear family and with the child/adolescent;
2.2. Clinical observation of children and adolescents;
2.3.1. Achenbach System of Empirically Based Assessment (ASEBA):
- Child Behavior Checklist for Ages 1 1/2- 5 (CBCL 1 1/2 – 5; Achenbach & Rescorla, 2001, 2014),
- Caregiver-Teacher Report Form for Ages 1 1/2-5 (CTRF; Achenbach & Rescorla, 2001, 2014),
- Child Behavior Checklist for ages 6-18 (CBCL 6-18; Achenbach & Rescorla, 2001, 2014),
- Teacher´s Report Form (TRF; Achenbach & Rescorla, 2001, 2014),
- Youth Self-Report (YSR; Achenbach & Rescorla, 2001, 2014),
- Semistructured Clinical Interview for Children & Adolescents (SCICA; McConaughy & Achenbach, 2001);
2.3. Instruments assessing socioemotional adjustment, specific disorders and the children´s/adolescents´ perception/representation of family dynamics:
2.3.2. Roberts-2 (Roberts & Gruber, 2005);
2.3.3. Instruments assessing anxiety and depression;
2.3.4. Instruments assessing behavior and attention regulation problems, and hiperactivity;
2.4. Cognitive assessment– Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-III, Wechsler, 2003);
3. Communication of the clinical assessment results (written and oral communication).
According to the RGACC, the assessment of the curricular unit is constituted of two modes: continuous and final.
Continuous assessment, compulsory for the approval in the curricular unit, requires::
- Attendance of 70% of classes;
- a clinical report, based on a clinical case.
Final assessment consistes of a final exam on the contents explored along the semester.
Weighting: Continuous assessment - 60% of the final grade; Final assessment - 40 %.
Computer, projector, books and scientific articles, materials from psychological tests developed during the sessions
clinical assessment, interview, observation, instruments of clinical assessment of children and adolescents
|Title||Manual de Psicologia Clínica da criança e do adole|
|Title||Assessment of Children|
|Editor||Jerome M. Sattler, Publisher|
|Author||Almeida, L., Machado, C., Simões, M., & Gonçalves,|
|Title||Avaliação Psicológica: instrumentos validados para|
|Title||Escala de Inteligência de Wechsler para Crianças –|
|Author||Roberts, G., & Gruber, C.|